Las Vegas firefighters revive dog after apartment fire

 Las Vegas, NV — Fire crews from Station 44 went the extra mile to save the smallest member of one family after an apartment fire at Smoke Ranch and Jones.

Kodah, a cocker spaniel, was inside the burning apartment and on the edge of death when firefighters found him and brought him out.

Shawn Lusk found Kodah hunkered under a bed, surrounded by black smoke and covered in soot. “It was kind of crazy because I had just wiped my mask from the smoke and shined my light under the bed, and the dog was white and the carpet was white,” Lusk told Action News.

Lusk did what he was trained to do, immediately rushing Kodah’s lifeless body out to the waiting paramedics. He had been inside for nearly 15 minutes, surrounded by flames.

“When we pulled it out, it was breathing about 2 or 3 times per minute. It looked dead,” said Richard Birt, a firefighter paramedic who used an oxygen mask designed for animals to revive the dog. “It opened it’s eyes, then it started licking around, it started wagging it’s tail and moving it’s legs,” he said.

For Lusk and Birt, it was a meaningful moment to watch the dog reunited with its owners, especially because both men have two dogs themselves.

Two adults and two teenagers are displaced because of that fire, which firefighters determined was caused by a pan on the stove. The blaze caused about $ 20,000 in damage.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

(Spamcheck Enabled)